Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

dr. stanleycakes?

So, I am now a Psychology major.

I was a biology major before. But I was terrible at it. Go figure.

I think I am so terrible at biology because it wasn't my passion.

Psychology is.

I plan on going into I/O Psychology to begin with. (Industrial/Organizational). I'll be employed by corporations. My job will be to meet with employees, on either a weekly, monthly, or as needed basis. I will interview them, and counsel them as necessary. I will also take into account things that could improve their workplace, such as what to put into the vending machines, or if they're happy with their insurance. I can also help them with their nonprofessional lives so that they can be happy, healthy, and successful in their careers. I want to be specialized in dealing with depression.

After a considerable amount of experience in that field, I plan on returning to graduate school to get my PhD or PsyD, and working on becoming established enough to run my own practice as a counselor Psychologist.

I'm excited about it.

The human brain has always fascinated me. It's one huge paradox. It's specialized, yet surprisingly plastid. The things we can learn and process simply boggles me. I want to know more about how it all works. Psychology is the one class where I don't get the urge to nod off.

What really made me decide to go for this degree is my own bought of depression. I never knew what it had felt like. I was at a point where the only thing I -could- do was shower. I barely ate, slept, studied...I didn't even browse facebook or have the energy to watch tv. I kind of sat comatose for a good month...maybe more.

I don't want to have to see or hear of anyone ever having to go through what I did.

I had a support system. I had people who love me and could slap me and yank me out of it. It makes me shudder to think what kinds of thoughts I was having at that time. They weren't pretty.

But not everyone has that. Some people have been abused and tortured their entire lives, whether verbally, mentally, physically or sexually. I want to help people who have had no one in their lives to turn to. I want to help people take charge of their lives and learn how to live.

One friend told me once,

"You know, you're life would be perfect if you simply took your own advise."

Ha. Yeah. I never take my own advise. Hence the mayhem I get myself into.

But, I want to help people. I like to listen to people and their stories. I don't think I'll really enjoy ripping out someone's heart and putting a new one in. I want to mend those broken hearts so that they don't need replaced. (Ahhh, metaphors.)

{ 0 lovely Comments! }